Superintendent

Superintendent

Saturday, August 26, 2017

A Welcome Back Letter to Staff



August 14, 2017

Dear LTPS Staff,

Each year when I sit to write my welcome back letter, I take time to reflect on all the positive moments I have had, inspirational messages I have heard, acts of kindness I have witnessed, and motivational people I have come to know; but today, I sit in silence in the wake of what occurred over the weekend in Charlottesville, Virginia.

One of our major responsibilities as educators is to ignite and inspire our students to not only be curious and creative learners but also to be kind individuals.  I am so glad that here in Lawrence we put tremendous emphasis on teaching kindness and developing good character.  We have outstanding administrators, excellent teachers, and a wonderful support staff, all of whom serve as positive role models for our children.  I commend you for the work you do…no role is too small or unimportant.  What matters most is that YOU make a difference in the life of a child. You may not know for many years…or ever…the impact you’ve made on a child.  Keep planting those seeds and cultivating that caring spirit.

Those of you who were here for opening day in 2014 may recall Dr. John Draper, our keynote, who presented “Crucial Conversations About America’s Schools.” Dr. Draper received a standing ovation that day.  During his presentation, he shared a letter he received from a former student, many years after Dr. Draper had left teaching. The letter read:

I had you for science in 7th and 8th grade. I left early in 8th grade. There is something I have wanted to tell you for years! Thank you. You gave me the courage to speak out about the sexual abuse I was getting at home.  I almost talked to you about it several times, but I was so afraid. Then, on the last day of 7th grade, you told us to never let anyone define who we are, that people could only treat us badly if we let them!!! I felt like you were talking only to me, and those words gave me the strength to reach out for help.  In October of 8th grade I was moved out of that situation.
If it were not for you I would not have had the courage to get help, and I would not be here today--I had planned out every detail of how to end my life so that I did not have to deal with the pain any longer. You may not remember me and that is ok, because I am not the kid in your science class anymore anyway. I am a mom, wife, sister, and friend. I am an advocate against child abuse. I am many things, but I am no longer a victim, thanks to you!

                                                            Sincerely,
                                                            Teri
 

As I look forward to the new school year, I think I speak for all of us when I state emphatically that there is no room for HATE in our hearts, schools or communities.  Teaching was always a tough yet worthwhile profession; however today our teaching must include a lot more reaching.  We must reach our children before they succumb to hate and violence.  We must also do what we can to reach those dark places in others and provide a little light that will foster kindness.





As you prepare for opening day, please take time to refuel your own kindness tank and take good care of yourself.  We have to be our best selves to be available to help our children through these challenging times.


Sincerely,

Crystal M. Edwards, Ed.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment